The JG Summit Petrochemicals Group complex is located 120 km south of Metro Manila, in Barangay Simlong, Batangas City, overlooking the scenic Batangas Bay. At present, JGSPG has a 250-hectare fully integrated, world-class manufacturing complex that houses the Naphtha Cracker Plant and the Polymers Plant.
Naphtha Cracker Plant
JGSOC’s $700 million Naphtha Cracker Plant uses Lummus Technology (a CB&I company) which is one of the more widely applied processes for the production of polymer-grade ethylene and propylene. This plant is designed to produce 320 KTA of ethylene and 190 KTA of propylene.
Features of JGSOC’s ethylene process as adopted from Lummus Technology are:
- Use of Short Residence Time (SRT) pyrolysis furnace for high olefins yield, high thermal efficiency, long run-length, feed flexibility
- Quick Quencher Transfer Line Exchanger (TLE) for low pressure drop and short residence time resulting in minimum yield degradation
- TLE decoking technology for reduced maintenance, longer tube life and less emissions
- Low pressure chilling train for energy efficiency and lower investment cost
- Hydrogenation process for acetylene/diene towards higher selectivity, minimization of green oil production and reduction of energy consumption
- Tertiary refrigeration that results in lower investment cost, enhanced reliability and simplified maintenance
Commissioned in 1998, JGSSPC’s Polymer Plant was constructed in a 27.9-hectare lot by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries as turnkey contractor and with EEi, DMCI and Cape East as subcontractors. The Group initially invested $350 million to build the Polymer Plants. Another $100 million were spent for its expansion which was completed in 2014.
The JGSPC Plant has the following facilities:
- Two reactors for Polyethylene with 320 KTA combined capacity
- One reactor for Polypropylene with 190 KTA per annum capacity
- Central Control Room with Distributed Control System (DCS) Technology by Honeywell-Yamatake
- Tank Farm with cryogenic and ambient storage tanks and Flare Facilities
- Laboratory with state-of-the-art instruments for Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Product Applications and Technical Services
- Closed-loop Cooling Water System, with heat exchange to sea water
- Jetty that can accommodate 54,000 DWT vessels
- Three-hectare covered warehouse for storing up to 37,000 tons of packaged products. It includes a packaging facility for loading products into 25kg, 750kg, and 1,000kg bags, as well as in-house heavy duty bag-making equipment.
- Modern safety equipment and fire prevention facilities situated in accessible locations all over the plant to ensure the safety of employees and surrounding communities.
Process Overview/ Technology
JGSPC’s polyolefins manufacturing processes are based on UNIPOL™ PE Process and UNIPOL™ PP Process Technology, known for its safety, environment-friendliness, simplicity, operational stability, cost-effectiveness and versatility. UNIPOL™’s relatively low pressures and low temperatures eliminate over-pressurization and runaway reactions, making it one of the safest PE and PP polymerization technologies available today. This gas phase process is also the cleanest in its class due to the absence of liquid and solid effluents emitted to the environment.
Today, The Dow Chemical Company’s fully owned Univation Technologies is the licensor for UNIPOL™ PE Process, while W.R. Grace & Co. is the licensor for UNIPOL™ PP Process Technology. The licensing agreements with these companies are characterized by continuous liaison, extensive documentation, complete training and technical assistance, which ensure the continuous improvement of the Plant and our personnel.